Hey there!! Welcome to Intentional House, where all things family and home design intersect. I’m Carly!
I’ve taught at the university level, I’ve spoken around the nation at conferences, I’ve designed multi million dollar projects, and I’ve been featured across the globe in written publications, but my favorite thing is teaching moms who are DOING and LOVING right at home, right now.
While I earned my Master’s in Marriage, Family, and Human Development, I was hit over the head with the realization that home was actually most beautiful when considered as a support to the families that actually live REAL life in them. My research dives into how a house’s architecture and design (as well as how we THINK about those things) affect positive family relationships.
When not going on rock/bug collection walks or experimenting with yogurt batches, I can be found binge reading Brené Brown's volumes with lots of blankets, practicing handstands with my kiddos (I’m determined), watching Star Trek with my husband (who knew?), and restarting my DuoLingo Spanish streak. There is never a dull moment around the Thornock home, and for that reason we’ve intentionally selected dull corners on all our furniture.
I love getting to know people and talking about cool housey family designey stuff. Come on in!
ABOUT INTENTIONAL HOUSE
Your home is meant to be your biggest asset in creating memories and connecting with those you love. It’s a crazy world out there, and the home needs to be somewhere where you can consistently feel peace and love! At Intentional House, we wholeheartedly believe that our houses themselves, and what we put in them, can help us in the lifelong process of becoming.
Just like you wouldn’t purchase a car without spending time and effort training to be able to USE it (not to mention a trip to the DMV…. that’s true motivation), it’s so important that you get the training to learn to USE your house (potentially the biggest purchase of your life) to reflect and support your most important mission (for us, that means living according to our essential values and prioritizing relationships).
We train families to understand the golden connections between home and family that, when applied, will make chores, transitions, and even parenting so much easier. We do this through our monthly membership, our yearly live session of House School, and through one-on-one coaching and design services.
Our tips are practical (how many throw pillows do I actually need, and why does my husband hate pillows?!) but because we come from a wonder-filled, family-centric perspective, it’s less about exactly the right rug and curtain combo, and SO MUCH more about why we choose what we do and how to use these props once they’re installed at home.
We know it’s entirely possible to design beautiful spaces that inspire wholehearted living and foster family connection that DON’T make you crazy babysitting demanding upholstery and excessive trinket styling! Let’s go!
Whenever we take on the task of setting up a new space or redesigning an old one, we get the lucky opportunity to solve a bajillion problems. I think...
The Finnish are the happiest people in the world in 2020, according to the World Happiness Report. It might be because they’ve mastered Finnish (which is a stunning feat in...
Hierarchies. The 37% of me that is Type A loves hierarchies. The other 63% is a solid Yellow that would rather be swinging (on a literal swing) as high as...
OUR RV RENO
Well we have floors! Our trailer house has floors! And they’re so pretty. We are still definitely waiting for trim, but it’s fine. It’s starting to feel fancy in here...
We’d love to hear from you!
If you’re interested in learning more about working together one-on-one, fill out the application found over here.
If you have any other compelling questions, invitations to fancy parties, compliments, Cadbury Mini Egg donations, or concerns, use the form below!